“System change not climate change”
Climate justice is a term that evolved from the recognition that the effects of the climate crisis are multifaceted, and necessarily overlap with both social and environmental justice. The movement acknowledges that at the heart of these issues are questions of equality, human rights, collective rights and historical responsibility in relation to climate change. Fundamental to the movement is the recognition that the negative effects of climate change disproportionately affect those least responsible for it's proliferation. Central climate justice solutions are the necessary legal changes and policy developments whose application would bring justice to those living with the effects of climate change and all that that entails, by curbing the behaviour of those most responsible for these injustices. A sincere and collaborative global effort is needed now more than ever to combat this superlative threat, and elevate those communities which will be forced to endure the brunt of the effects (droughts, rising sea-levels, increasingly severe weather, etc).
Despite the virtual scientific consensus on the anthropogenic nature of the climate crisis, policy development on the part of governments and organizations is not advancing quickly enough. In Canada, the dominance of the oil and gas lobby are particularly problematic to the advancement of climate justice, and as such represent a major obstacle both to be overcome and to be disempowered moving forward.
- Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
- War on Science, by Chris Turner
- Le Prochain Virage, by Steven Guilbeault and Francois Tanguay
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate, by Naomi Klein
- The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View of the Future, by Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway
- Heat: How to Stop the Planet from Burning, by George Monbiot
- Keeping our Cool: Canada in a Warming World, by Dr. Andrew J. Weaver
- The Creation: An Appeal to Save Life on Earth, by Edward O. Wilson
Documentary Films and Series
- A Fierce Green Fire: The Battle for a Liveable Planet (2012)
- The Crisis of Civilization (2011)
- Anticosti: La Chasse au Pétrole Extreme (2014)
- Gasland 1 & 2 (2010) (2013)